Priest Lake Marathon
September 25, 2021
Priest Lake Marathon will take place in September again this year!
Registration for 2021 is open!
What makes this an awesome race?
Run WiLD at Priest Lake
RUN WILD AT PRIEST LAKE! - Marathon, 50K, Half-Marathon, 25k, 1/4 Marathon and Family 5k
Let your WILDerness side RUN! A wilderness off-pavement running adventure through the Panhandle National Forest. The scenery of a trail race, but on driveable dirt forest road. All runners beginner to elite love this course for its scenic trail run-like experience, but on the non-technical running surface of compact dirt Forest Service Roads. Run along the lakeshore of pristine Priest Lake, through groves of lush forest, huge old-growth cedar trees, and big views of the rugged Selkirk Mountains. Make a great race weekend at Hill’s Resort, walk to the start/finish line, family and friends can spectate the start, middle, and finish right by their room. Get race weekend special discounts at HILL’S RESORT.
Countdown to RACE DAY!
This course gives 26.2 runners some of the most scenic wilderness views anywhere! For the marathoner looking to ditch the pavement and get a trail run fix without taking off their beloved road running shoes, Priest Lake gives all the scenery of a trail race with lush cedar forests, lakeshore running, and big mountain views, but on compacted dirt forest road. Enjoy the scenery and focus on your run, not technical trail. Priest Lake has become a destination run for marathoners across the nation looking for an Idaho marathon to make their 50 state goal. An annual favorite for our Marathon Maniac friends!
|50K Ultra Marathon/Marathon Walk||Start: 7:00 AM|
Start: 7:30 AM
|Half Marathon and 25k||Start: 9:30 AM|
|Quarter Marathon (6.55 miles) and 5k Family Fun Run|
Start: 10:00 AM
Individual small bottled water at each aid station. Gel nutrition at the middle point of the half, 25k, full, and 50k. DROP BAGS. All measures to support health department guidelines will be followed. We organize all aid stations to reduce contact points. Main stations are staffed, some are self serve. All are organized to ensure safe handling of water, drop bags, and gel.
Half-Marathon- one drop bag will be transported to the aid station at the 8mm
25k – one drop bag will be transported to the aid station at the 9mm
Full and 50k. You can place one drop bag at the drop bag zone right by the start/finish line. You will come by this at your 16mm/21mm. We will transport two more drop bags for you to the 9mm/14mm aid station, which you will pass again at your 11mm/16mm. We will also transport a drop bag for you to the 21mm/26mm aid station. We will provide small disposable bags with numbers, or you can recycle a sting bag from one of you other events. Make sure to put your name on it.
All finishers will receive a technical fabric finisher shirt and finisher medal. Sign up before September 1 to guarantee your shirt order. Registrations after September 1 will get shirts first come first serve. We normally have strong inventory but will not guarantee shirt sizes and availability for late registrations.
- Withdrawal prior to 120 days before event date – Full Refund of race fee less $18 processing fee.
- Withdrawal prior to 70 days before event date – Refund of 50% of race fees only- No refunds after this date.
- Transfers- Priest Lake Multisports offers transfers for medical and bereavement. Transfers are valid for the following years race. Contact Race Director with the contact form on this site.
- NO transfers are provided from one participant to another.
- TO WITHDRAW from the race and request a refund, contact Race Director using the contact form on this site.
- This policy is not valid for rollover entries from a prior year or transfer entries.
Award podium right after the race. Overall awards for M/F 1-3rd. Age group awards are 1-3rd. 5year age divisions.
Average Temp during the Marathon: 45F at start, 60-65F mid-day high
A distance for everyone at Priest Lake! Pick the Quarter Marathon (6.55 miles) or the Family 5k and experience smooth running through the Panhandle National Forest. Trail race like scenery but running on packed dirt forest service roads with your familiar road running shoes. Challenge yourself to take home one of our great Overall or Age Division awards in this smaller venue event, push a stroller, or walk with friends and family. Children in a stroller with a registered adult do not require a registration. Please no pets, this out and back course overlaps the Half-Marathon race for a bit, we want our athletes and loving pets to be safe.
Luby Bay Campground is open race weekend and .5 miles to the start line, reservations suggested. US Forest Service also allows dispersed camping, there are several areas you can just park and camp with a car, tent, or rv.
From RD Ken
We care about our athlete’s race day experience, your personal safety, and the safety of our race crew staff. As we all work through the impacts of COVID-19, we want to ensure you that we will modify race day operations to follow CDC and our local health department guidelines.
We are hopeful that 2021 will bring some progress toward a return to normal, but we want to clearly communicate what modifications will be considered at all Priest Lake Multisport races.
Last fall as the pandemic began to spike, we were able to hold the Priest Lake Marathon, 50k, Half-Marathon, and 25k. We were also able to hold the Smokechaser 30k and 5-mile trail race.
These races provided successful race day experiences with some modifications for COVID, and we will implement similar actions as they are needed based on the conditions present during race day. They were two great days of watching people cross real finish lines, with real time, and real smiles. We look forward to seeing you in 2021 and will model plans as we did at these two races. We successfully held some races last year and fully expect to have safe and successful operation plans for this year.
Being able to race in the rural location of our beautiful area affords us lots, and lots, and lots, of space!
We look forward to experiencing your 2021 race day goals with you. See you at the starting line!
Modified race operations will include;
· No race day registration. Registration will need to be on line. This eliminates long lines race day.
· Rapid race check-in. We use a larger area to spread out check in tables. Waivers are included in your on-line registration so there will be nothing to sign or stand in line for other than getting your bib. At the triathlon this will be a bib packet with tags, numbers, and caps.
· Shirts will be provided right after you cross the finish line. This significantly reduces lines and crowding of people.
· Race registration caps. We will be limiting race entries at all races as needed. This is TBD and could change quickly. To ensure we race and race safe, we would rather have a smaller field of participants than no race at all.
· Aid. We would prefer not to generate the waste of lots of small plastic bottles, but it is prudent to do so. ALL aid stations at all races will have “mini” sealed individual bottles of water or electrolyte drink and be self-serve. Aid station attendant will stock tables and you can grab and go! Aid attendants and monitors will ensure social distancing and use ppe as required.
· Modified start. Modeled after our successful race days last fall, we used a modified start time. All races are chip timed, so you don’t start the clock until you cross the starting line. We will keep starting lines open for an extended time of 15 minutes. You can keep all the personal space you need, and start as you want. This reduces crowding at the start line, and also spreads runners out more on the course with a lot of safe space.
Early Bird by 2/14 Regular Registration by 9/1 Late Registration by 9/23
50k and Marathon $69 $89 $110
25k $49 $64 $89
Half-Marathon $49 $64 $89
Quarter Marathon $29 $44 $59
5k Walk/Run $24 $34 $45
NEW FOR 2021
Priest Lake Marathon & THE GRIT
The GRIT: Priest Lake | Sandpoint | Hope